Monday, April 9, 2012

Monday, April 9th

Today and class we met in the critique room, and rather than pinning our work to the walls we had our binded books so we layed them across the table side by side to go through them. We evaluated things such as type, the type of paper, and the layout of type compared to image. It seemed that if one of these things were off, it pretty much threw off the visual meaning of the total of the work. If someone had a nicely designed book, and it was printed on cheap tabloid paper from the printers then the whole work just seemed cheap and not cared for. This is something I already knew from experience with other classes, but it was definitely evident now. The context you give your work is extremely important. Anyways, it turned out the people in class that treated type the simplest and treated their layout the simplest, they were the ones most successful. Luckily I was one of those people. I used a black bleed across my book, with small system of type that was set flush to the right for easy reading for the viewer, with a large dominate photo that gave the text structure, as well as my grid. James was also very successful, he was a tad different by using even cleaner type and was set in a way where the text was completely separate from the images. This could of been because his book was small, or it could of been a way for easy reading. I believe it was a little of both. You really need that balance and simplicity for your work to shine through between the amount of junk design out there. Its so much clutter sometimes that the eye is really refreshed to see something so clean. Just like when you clean your room you suddenly feel as if your world is organized and you can actually breathe. You feel a whole lot better too.

Well, besides this critique we won't be making tweaks to this and reprinting. I'm pretty grateful for this because with the black bled across my book, it got expensive fast! I had to make friends with the Kinkos people to get a discount! I plan to go to a printing shop in the end though for my final presentation with both concepts for WEDU.

Streamers of Light: Concept 1 WEDU Network Refresh:
Book Semifinal


For homework we will be turning in a collection of our location images and videos for our final experimentation project with type. I'm very excited to take the chance to explore what I can do with the images and videos I have. I plan to take the things I learn by this project and fine tuning them for a show opening animation for ART Network. We just got finished producing "Off the meal plan" A show where student cooks explore the possibilities in recreating a dish from a local restaurant, as well interviewing the cook where the viewers can get a feeling of what the restaurant is like in case they ever miss meal times here at Ringling. Well, it should be interesting! I already have ideas for both.

No comments:

Post a Comment