Monday, January 23, 2012

January 23rd Class + Critique

Its been a week since we met and we were looking at type again. We pinned our compositions and blocks against the wall and we all individually critiqued what we though was right and wrong by making on the page ourself. In doing so, I felt like it was easier to pick out the bad ones than the ones that were good. Or, if someone took a risk I didn't know whether to mark out their mistakes or command them on their ability to take risks. However, those that took risks were the ones to get picked on the most. Mostly because they invited the whole class to come out and look at it. In reviewing the bad works and the better ones (because I feel no type treatment can be risky and perfect at the same time) there was consistency in the same notes from last week:

STAIR STEPS
DEAD ENDS
RELATIONSHIPS to each
MARGINS still? I thought this was obvious
and my problems:

NEGATIVE SPACE.
I should of known this already though from the multiple times I was preached to in highschool... "people see the object, the artist sees the space around the object."
Yep, looking for that one now on..

Also, looking at others was easy to point out rights and wrongs but looking at mine was tough, I knew why I made each decision. But I can also tell why others made theirs too, weird.
Type is just funny.
Best is to go unnoticeable.
I figure thats what type should do anyways, even though im not one to make my art unnoticeable, but for now I guess I will.



1 comment:

  1. To date you are a post behind (3/4) but content wise, you are heading in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete