Monday, January 30, 2012

Thursday, 26th

Rushing to get to class on time I hurried to print my studies and go over to critique. It was a normal critique session for Dorian and again the same comments were used, this time with a twist of mixing fonts. I found throughout making my studies that combining fonts in the short phrase we had was not an approciate solution for design. The serifs get in the way, they have a chance of disappearing when moving them on the screen, and it is very difficult to combine. Anyways, our next assignment was to make it move by simple fading and simple position changing. After speaking with Dorian one on one after class I had a better understanding on what he was looking for, but better yet the endless possibilities I was all ready blocking out in my head for no apparent reason. I was inspired to rework all of my compositions for our motion studies. After spending a long time to rework my studies, I started bringing them into after effects.

I took a lot of time making these short moving kinetic type compositions. Struggling with how much time it should stay up for reading and how simple "simple compositions" were to be. I decided to do what I wanted to, and let the design of my compositions lead me where to lead the eye through movement. Some of my type was weighted lightly, where that type could remain on the screen where as a think contrasting type was more easily read. I tried to force my viewer to read what I wanted them to at the time I wanted them to. Sometimes more difficult, sometimes not. Some of my studies I wanted to have it simple, basically because the composition let me to that. Others are pretty complex, animating with each individual element, opacity changes, mask movements, and position changes. So, here's my first shot at kinetic type!


Kinetic Type Studies from Alexis Copeland on Vimeo.







No comments:

Post a Comment